You’ve already got the recipe for some delicious, but oh-so-simple Vanilla Cupcakes and now you need something just as delicious to go on top!
You’ve come to the right place!
This simple, smooth and silky vanilla buttercream is a perfect addition to the cupcakes – or if you fancy something a bit richer, I’ll have both a chocolate cupcake and frosting recipe coming soon!
There’s a few top tips for you to make a delicious buttercream, and I’ll share my secrets with you just this once!
- Soften the butter before you add the icing sugar – it makes it much easier to combine it – but it shouldn’t be melted, just softened
- Add the icing sugar a bit at a time – unless you want a icing sugar cloud to engulf you and hang around for days
- Beat it – when I advise not to over mix cake mixtures, this buttercream is so delicious if you mix it just a little bit longer than you think you should!
I also like to pipe my icing, as it helps everything look uniform and controlled, but theres nothing wrong with scooping the buttercream onto the top of the cake and enjoying it that way – whatever takes your fancy!
- 80g unsalted butter
- 250g icing sugar
- 25ml milk
- vanilla extract
- Soften the butter
- Add about 1/3 of the icing sugar and gently combine
- Add the second 1/3 of the icing sugar until combined
- Add the final 1/3 of the icing sugar
- Note: if at any point the mixture becomes difficult to combine, add a spash of the milk to loosen it slightly
- Add the milk and vanilla extract and mix the buttercream thoroughly until it is sooth and glossy
- If you’re planning on piping the icing, chill it in the fridge for about half an hour before piping it